Thursday, March 26, 2009

8 de Julio and the Big Dog Attack

Just one of the friendly smiles we usually get.
The creapy dogs here..

Hi everyone how are things going?
Well I am now in the last week of my 4th change! Crazy! I must say that I have had better weeks than this past one. My companion, Elder Neilson, and I were walking down to confirm an appointment in a neighborhood called 8 de Julio (July 8th). It is like the slummy part of our sector and is kind of known to be a bit more dangerous. Well we were walking and as we came around the corner, there was this big black pitbull. It started growling at us so we kinda backed up to go around it but it barked louder and out came a big Rottweiler from a yard. They both started getting mad and coming closer. Both my comp and I took off our backpacks to hit them with if we needed to. I kinda backed up fast when they both started coming. Elder Neilson didn't really and they both went for him. Well he ended up getting bit on the butt by the pitbull. Not hard but it did cause a little bit of bleeding. It looked like a scrape more than anything. He got two holes in his pants. It was kinda scary. It happened so fast too. I was going to throw a rock at the dogs but didn't want to hit my comp either so didn't. they backed away after they bit him too. Today we went to the flea market and I found a night stick that the cops use. It was like 5 bucks. I will keep that in one of the side pockets of my backpack from now on...dumb dogs.
The weather here is cooling down at night. I had to go back and get my jacket in the evening. The time change here is no good for missionary work. It is completely dark at 7:30pm. When we try and do contacting during that time, people come to the door and say they are in bed already.... It is kind of annoying but we need to change and do contacts earlier and set appointments for the night time I guess. Our contact Nicole, who was going to get baptized this coming Saturday didn't come to church yesterday because she had to work in her dads little business. This means that she doesn't have 3 times of going to church and at the first part of april she is going to be leaving to enter the army.
Well that's about all that has been going on here this week. take care everyone!
Chao Elder nelson