Monday, April 6, 2009

My First Transfer....Viña del Mar

A gorgeous view of the city and ocean in Viña del Mar. A Sunset view of the ocean in Viña del Mar
Hey Everyone!
How are things going? Things are going good for me here! Well we had changes in the Mission this past week. I finally left Ovalle. That night I had to be in the Zone Leader´s pension at 10:00pm and then at the bus terminal at 1:00 in the morning to VIÑA!!! I am now in Viña del Mar. My new sector is called Recreo Alto. My new companion´s name is Elder Watkins. He is from Vegas area, Nevada. He has one change less than me. I am now senior companion which is a little overwhelming…especially going to a new sector. It felt weird being toted around the sector this week but I am getting the hang of the sector. There are tons of hills and stairs. I am not really a fan of these haha…I miss the flats of Ovalle. I was so tired when I got to Viña! We got there at 6 in the morning. It only got worse as the day went on. I was replacing an elder who had been in the sector for 7 months and the people were sad to see him go. I am finally in a ward again but from what I hear, there are only like 50 people that go every Sunday which is about half of what came to the branch in ovalle. My trainer is a Zone Leader here in Viña right now too which is cool. He is in his last change. When he was with me he still had six months to go… This weekend we had the opportunity to listen to general conference. We had to listen to it in Spanish which took away from it a little. Some of the speakers had recorded their talks in Spanish too so we got to hear them speak. Elders christofferson and scott are crazy good in Spanish haha… So to welcome me into the sector, my first day we were doing contacts and we went down this little path. At the end there was this old tiny house. We yelled and out comes this little 10 year old kid that is just mad and tells us to leave and starts pushing me. I told him that all I need to do is talk to his mom. He told me that mormons weren’t welcome here. He started pushing me again and I told him to stop. He asked me if I would like him to punch me in the stomach…I was like fine we will go. As we turned around he went to kick me. I grabbed his foot and tossed it to the side. As we started leaving he and his friend and little sister started throwing rocks at us. Good thing they are bad shots. Well they followed us the whole path throwing rocks at us. When we got to the end of the path, I turned around and pretended to pick up a rock and throw it at him. He curled over and hid but when he saw that I didn’t throw anything or didn’t even have a rock, he got mad that I had embarrassed him so he threw his rock hard right at me. Well I caught it and got right into the motion of throwing it back and he ran away…stupid little kid… Well that is what is basically going on for me right now. I am getting used to my new sector and all the stuff to do now as companion mayor. The ocean looks awesome! Our sector boarders the ocean and is right inbetween Viña and Valpaíriso. It is so pretty. Alright, well that’s all for this week. Love you all lots! Take care! Elder Nelson