Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Urrutia Family & Giovanni Baptism

Ward mission leader- Esteban Vargas, Elder Allenbach, Giovanni, me
Elder Allenbach, Giovanni, the Urrutia Family & me

hey family how are things going?
this was a week full of different feelings and experiences. First of all, I was able to go to the baptism of the Urrutia family and Giovanni decided that he actually did want to get baptized in the end. :) I baptized the mom, Aliette and the daughter Valentina. It was really special seeing all of them in white. We took a bus that was driving so slow that we showed up 15 minutes late and everyone was waiting for us. we actually ended up getting off the bus and taking another one because of how slow it was going. the service was a good one and it was nice to see everyone including my old companion, Elder Allenbach.
Well now I am in Los Aromos, Quilpué. My new companion's name is Elder Saldivar. He is from San Luis, Mexico. He is in his 4th change and hit 5 months in the mission today. When I got to the new area, the first thing I noticed was the giant hill that I now belong to. We didnt have much of anything going on but last night we were able to set a baptismal date with someone that went to church yesterday. Her name is Julia Thayer. She is 62 and lives with her daughter. She is really looking for something in her life to help her have more happiness. We are focusing on the blessings that the gift of the Holy Ghost gives. She has progressed a lot this week. The branch is considerably smaller than my last ward in Villa Alemana. There were like 60 people attending and they had me play for Sacrament Meeting.
One of the highlights of the week was going to Viña for a special conference with Elder Jensen of the Presidency of the 70. Elder Nuñez, an area authority came with him. Elder Jensen basically taught the whole time about the importance of creating an environment where the Spirit can teach the people. We can do this by preparing ourselves to have the Spirit, sing hymns, and that kind of stuff. We need to help others recognize that people knew this plan that we teach even before they came to the earth. we need to wake the spirit that is within them. elder nuñez in the end bore his testimony about how when he had 22 months in the mission and was with a younger missionary, he read in Alma 29 where it says, "O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!" That really shows the change that Alma had during his mission. He spoke about how he also desired to have that same feeling. He committed himself to talking to everyone and working as hard as he could so that he could be more like Alma. He also said that in those 2 months, he was changed as a person and in those 2 months, he changed the way the rest of his life would be. His words really impacted me as I find myself in his same shoes.
I know that this Gospel is true and that it is the only road to eternal happiness. I have had the blessing to be able to see what the Gospel of Jesus Christ does to a family starting from ground zero. What a blessing. I know this Church is true and we have a living prophet today.
Have a great Memorial Day everyone!
Con amor,
Elder Nelson